Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Who'da Thunk It?

I just had one of those moments.


I was tinkering with an ergonomic arm for a monitor... you know, those things that we bolt to monitors to the desk with so that you can move them around all comfy depending on your height and how close you stand to the counter. And I just had this "Who'da thunk it?" moments.


Because you see, when I first started working for Library Services, the thing I was most experienced in doing, was changing dirty nappies and soothing crying babies. I'd had a LOT of varied experience in my professional life up to the point of joining BCCLS. I'd worked in retail, in hospitality, in book bindery, owned my own business (a music shop), started a community radio station, been a youth worker keeping kids off the street, and done an endless list of cruddy jobs like cleaning and picking fruit and stuff to earn myself an honest pay packet. But for the most of my professional life, I'd worked in child care, particularly as a full-time, live-in Nanny. I have always had a passion for reading and libraries, but had never been paid to work in one.

When I did start working for BCCLS, I thought I was going to be out there at the coal face, in the actual libraries for the rest of my career, because it was a very conscious decision that it was what I wanted to do. But now that I'm doing what I do... I can't imagine having as much fun doing anything else. I love that this job appeals to my inquisitive (and sometimes destructive!) nature in that I get to find out how things work. I learn so much every day with my job, and when I look back... good gravy have I learnt some phenomenal things over the years, that I never dreamed I would learn about or how to. Plus I still get to be all about libraries, which are a passion of mine.

But just in case you think I'm getting all philosophical on you, here's a chipmunk miming to Freddie Mercury:



Courtesy of Cute Overload. It's worth watching all the way through, really.

No comments: