Sunday, November 16, 2008

Go Away Summer

It's hot today. I'm not happy about that.

You see, I am a creature of the cold. I LOVE the cold. I'm happiest when my nose and fingers are nippy, the wind is blowing and I'm having to keep moving to keep warm.

This time last year, I was in the US. Lapping up the tail end of their autumn, in Wisconsin to be exact, where it was cold and windy. The lakes were starting to freeze, bits of snow were falling, sleet was around most days and one had to really rug up to go outside. It was delicious.

If I had my way, I'd be over there in the US and Canada for six months of every year. I'd head over about late October (ready for Halloween) and come back at Easter. That way I could enjoy Brisbane's gorgeous crystal clear and cool winter, but avoid the sticky, humid, breath-stealing summer. I'd have a white Christmas every year (oh boy that was fun last year, I was in Michigan) and be back here to enjoy jacaranda season. I'd get to see all my lovely friends over there, but still come home to those that are here in BrisVegas.

I'm trying to keep myself cool by remembering the delicious cold over in the US. Tramping around the streets of New York City, with my purple gloves on, watching the squirrels scamper through Union Square. Walking across a frozen river on a covered bridge in Frankenmuth, Michigan, all rugged up with gloves, scarf, woolly hat and my nose turning red in the cold. Stamping in snow in Chigago, making snowmen and hitting my friend Melissa on the butt with a big snowball.

This is the picture I have on my desktop wallpaper here at home at the moment:

Photobucket

Yes, those are my feet, in Chicago snow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am with you honey, not a huge fan of heat! Enjoy winter all the time, especially what passes for our winter especially
Have to say the A/C here at CDE is pretty crap and the lack of fresh air is not pleasant because everyone is hot and sweaty and smelly!

Anon. said...

Fear not! We are well on our way to the next ice age. Then it'll be cold all year round. Yay!

Robin said...

I don't even LIKE the super cold that much, but you made me kind of crave it right there. :)

Girl Clumsy said...

I'm going against popular opinion obviously but I LOVE warm weather.

Yeah, it gets uncomfortable for two or three months of the year, but for the rest of the year I'd say South-East Queensland has fairly optimal weather.

Except when a major storm hits, perhaps!

I think for me the cold makes living hard. I can't imagine living in places where you'd have to scrape ice off the car window everyday, where roads were salted and ruined the underside of your vehicle... where you couldn't move in your hallway for all the jackets and coats!

I'm one of those people who finds it easier to cool down in the heat than warm up in the cold.

My mother grew up in Ireland, and is quite happy to never go through a northern hemisphere winter ever again. I sometimes wonder if we in Australia look at "winter" over there with rose-coloured glasses!

Sleepydumpling said...

I thought I might be cured of my love of the cold after spending some time in a "real" winter, but to be honest it only made me love it more.